Friday, December 18, 2009

It’s FREEZING up here!

Sorry this post is late.  Just a few glitches, that’s all.

In fact, it’s way below freezing.  The last time I looked at the weather in the middle of the night, the temperature was at zero.  According to my calculations, (which were pretty fuzzy in the middle of the night), 32 is freezing, so 0 degrees is 32 BELOW freezing.  Glad I have a toasty down comforter. 

I could NOT go to sleep last night and have now slept half the day.  What a waste of good Utah time.  While I was not sleeping last night, I was able to check e mail, and work on Christmas cards…just one for each of our children’s families with their gift from us.  I’ve checked on John, who is feeling a little better today than yesterday.

 P1000680P1000682

Emily was baptized this morning at a very special ceremony where she was the star.   Her whole family sang together while Sarah accompanied them on the flute.  It was beautiful and I had no idea Sarah was that good already.  I LOVE flute music and would love to hear her even more.

After the baptism, Lesa & Kevin had a little brunch that was delightful; then Karl & Karla had the whole family over on Sunday for a delicious dinner.

P1000740

 P1000772

You can see by the pictures who did most of the work.  And who had fun playing.

P1000783

P1000744

P1000814

And there were those who had to study … good job, Leah.

P1000776

It was a fun evening and we topped it off looking at Christmas lights on the way home.

P1000822

I’ve done two really stupid things lately and the second one is so painful, I can’t remember the first.  Karl took me Christmas shopping  – just for me and that alone made me feel quite special that he would take time to spend with me.  We had an enjoyable time talking and laughing and found exactly the game I’ve been wanting for months: Settlers of Catan!  My next goal is  to talk SOMEONE in to playing it with me. 

Anyway, about the stupid thing, as Karl and I finished shopping and headed out to his car, I hit an icy spot and before I knew it was flat on my bum.  How embarrassing!  of course someone besides he and I witnessed and tried to help me up.  When asked if I was all right, I told them it was mostly a very bruised ego, which is quite true. I never even saw it coming because the parking lot didn’t look icy at all.  So, I’m feeling pretty dumb now and hoping I never remember the “other dumb thing” since I’ve had enough humiliation for one day.

Taking stock of the injuries:  mental/emotional – incalulatable; physical, bruised, throbbing, bloody knee (first point of impact) with quite a good sized goose egg.   Not the greatest ending for such a lovely day. but I’ll be fine tomorrow.

Hmm.. not as “fine” as I’d hoped for, but surviving ok.  I remember the other stupid thing I did and will chalk that one up to fatigue.  One night when I had difficulty getting to sleep, I decided to just get up and work on making those cute little boxes Julie M. taught us to make at WWWW.  Lesa is planning to give them to each sister in the ward R.S. with little chocolates inside for her birthday, along with a personal visit.  What a lovely idea.  Only 103 boxes.  That’s not too bad.  Ok, back to ‘stupid’.  I was cutting cardstock down to the right size, and then scoring it for the folds.  Lesa’s scoring blade is too sharp and was actually cutting, or tearing the paper, which in turn would weaken the box.  I removed the blade and ran it over my index finger to check . . . and cut a slice all the way across, causing immediate and profuse bleeding; well, enough that I couldn’t work with paper without smearing it.  A bandage really hampered my ability to make the precise folds, so I quit box making and decided to go back to bed and play “text twist” until falling asleep.  Have you ever tried to use your mouse pad with a bandage?  It doesn’t recognize the bandage.  So much for games.

4 comments:

  1. Poor mommy! You need to take better care of yourself.

    Congratulations Em! Wish we could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've been able to sit down and be absorbed in your blog! I'm so excited you're doing this, it's so fun to hear it all from your perspective. Thanks Sondra!
    p.s. I hope you don't mind, but I gave your blog address to my mommy too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there. It is nice to see some pictures. I hope you all had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your owies are better. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete